I need a break from chocolate… not a full on break up, just a little bit of space 🙂 So I decided to make a nice light and fluffy lemon drizzle cake for a change. It’s really simple to make and has a nice zing to it…. it really made a change to my usual chocolate based recipes and the food coma that comes afterwards!
The syrup keeps the sponge nice and moist and it lasts a good few days still nice and fresh – as long as it hasn’t been polished off before then! All you’ll need is a small enough loaf tin, greased and lined.
125g unsalted butter
175g caster sugar
2 large eggs
zest of 1 lemon
175g self raising flour
pinch of salt
4 tablespoons milk
juice of 1 and a half lemons
100g icing sugar
juice of 1/2 a lemon
150g icing sugar
To Make The Cake:
1. Preheat your oven to 180 C/ gas mark 4 then grease and line your loaf tin well.
2. Beat together butter and sugar and add the eggs and lemon zest, mixing them in well.
3. Sieve in the flour and the salt, and gently fold together, mixing thoroughly and then add the milk.
4. Spoon the batter into your prepared tin and bake for 45 mins.
For the syrup:
1. Put the lemon juice and icing sugar into a small saucepan and heat gently until the sugar dissolves.
2. As soon as cake is out of oven, puncture all over with skewer and pour over the syrup.
Leave cake to cool completely before taking it out of the tin. It should be nice and sticky like this:
For the icing:
Combine lemon juice and icing sugar until smooth and white, add a little more icing sugar if needed. Make sure the cake is completely cool before covering with the icing. Then leave a while to set and enjoy the lemon-y goodness! 🙂
You can also follow me on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/KatesKabin
Or Twitter here: https://twitter.com/kateskabin