Another Donal Skehan recipe that I love! Honestly if you are ever looking for some yummy simple cake recipes he is the “Go To” for me. These apple and cinnamon muffins are comforting and reminiscent of Christmas. If you are a cinnamon lover like me feel free to throw in lots more than the recommended teaspoon to the mixture. I also recommend doubling the crumbling quantities if you like lots of it – and I do!!
I got 12 of the large muffin cases filled with these quantities.
75ml of Olive Oil
200ml of Buttermilk (I forgot to buy the buttermilk so made my own using normal milk and the juice of 1 lemon)
Zest of 1 Lemon
150g of Caster Sugar
250g of Self Raising Flour
1 teaspoon of cinnamon (I WOULD DEFINITELY ADD MORE!!)
250g of peeled and diced cooking apple or Granny Smith… I think it’s just meant to be a slightly bitter apple as opposed to a sweet Pink Lady or something like that.
For the crumble:
50g of vanilla sugar (or substitute with caster sugar)
50g of plain flour
50g of butter
Like I said earlier – double this if you like lots of crumble 🙂
1. Preheat the oven to 190˚C or about 170 for a fan oven. Line your muffin/cupcake tray with paper cases.
2. Pour the oil and buttermilk into a jug and then mix through the lemon zest and leave aside.
3. Now for the crumble. You can either use a handblender with a food processor attachment and blitz the ingredients for the crumble topping until you get left with rough crumbs. I don’t have these fancy little toys so just do it by hand in a bowl using my fingertips to combine the ingredients together. It’s slightly gross at first and all goes under your nails but it’s all for a worthy cause!! Once well mixed, set the crumble topping aside.
4. In your mixing bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar.
5. Pour in the contents of your jug with the buttermilk etc and whisk until combined.
6. Sieve in the flour and cinnamon and fold together until just combined. Fold through 3/4 of the diced apple until combined. Muffins are always going to look pretty yuk when you are mixing the batter together. The mixture isn’t supposed to be nice and smooth like a cake mix so leave it to be a yukky bulky mixture and trust me on this one…be sure not to over mix it as it won’t turn out as well.
7. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases, top with a few bits of the remaining apple and about a teaspoonful of the crumble topping (more if you’ve doubled the crumble mixture.)
8. Throw them into the oven for about 20/25 minutes until brown on top.
9. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. They are beautiful eaten while hot with some vanilla ice cream!! Tasty 🙂
You can also follow me on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/KatesKabin
Or Twitter here: https://twitter.com/kateskabin