I was feeling the love this week so decided to make some cute heart shaped scones 🙂
I find that like bread, scones are a pretty simple thing to bake but they really can go wrong… I’ve had many occasions that they’ve come out hard as a rock and are only fit for the bin!
These ones were great though – and instead of the usual sultanas or raisins I added dried cranberries and chocolate to jazz them up. I would probably prefer dark choc to be honest but I only had milk at home and they still tasted yummy!
900g Plain Flour
170g Butter (at room temp, not straight from fridge)
pinch of salt
55g Caster Sugar
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
100g Chocolate Chips / Chunks
100g Dried Cranberries
1. Preheat the oven to 250C/220 ish for fan / 475F/gas mark 9.
2. Sieve all the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
3. Cut the butter into cubes and add to the flour. Using your fingertips, rub in the butter. It’ll take a while but you want to get rid of any big lumps of butter in the mixture.
4. In a bowl or jug, Whisk the eggs with the milk. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the egg and milk mixture. Mix to a soft dough.
5. Turn out onto a floured board or countertop. Knead lightly, don’t keep kneading for too long as it’s not required.
Roll out to about an inch thick and then using you cutter or the top of a mug, stamp out the scones.
6. Put onto a baking sheet – I tend to lightly flour the baking sheet too just to stop them sticking at all.
Brush the tops with egg white or milk and bake in a hot oven for about 12 minutes until they are starting to brown on top.
Cool on a wire rack for a little while but not too long as they are so nice served still warm with butter and jam!
You can also follow me on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/KatesKabin
Or Twitter here: https://twitter.com/kateskabin