Ok so it’s that time of year again – Crème Eggs are EVERYWHERE you look. I for one am delighted they came out even earlier this year, the more Crème Eggs in life the better 🙂
Crème Egg Brownies was inevitable – I love brownies and love the gooey eggs too so why not combine? They are easy peasy – give them a go!
First off – the ingredients. This is a simple recipe (like most of mine are) – nothing you won’t have at home or pick up in the local shop.
3 or 4 Crème Eggs – IN THE FREEZER
200g dark chocolate, broken up (even if you don’t like dark choc please use it in the recipe, it just isn’t the same with milk!)
175g unsalted butter (like I’ve said I’m a novice baker and often just use normal butter and it works just as well… just DON’T use margarine!)
325 caster sugar
130g plain flour
icing sugar to decorate
You will also need a baking tray. You can get Brownie baking trays in most homestore&more stores etc… the one I use is slightly smaller and square instead of rectangle so I just adjust the cooking time slightly to allow it more time to cook through.
1) Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/gas mark 3. I’ve got a fan oven and stick it on about 160°…. I’m not meticulous with oven temperatures in general to be honest, in and around the general range usually works for me! Get your baking tray and grease and line it with baking paper / parchment. Throw the crème eggs in the freezer to get nice and hard.
2) So now you need to melt the chocolate and butter together. Get a large microwavable bowl, break all the choc in and microwave for about 90 seconds. Take out and mix it around then put it back in for about 25 seconds at a time. Once it has started to properly melt, throw in the butter and mix it all well each time you take it out of the microwave.
Be very careful not to get impatient and just put it back in for another 90 seconds, chocolate burns easily in the microwave and once that happens there’s no going back and it’s only fit for the bin!
Now – this is the “proper” way to do this step:
Put the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (do not let the base of the bowl touch the water). Leave until melted and smooth….. I’m too impatient for that!
3) In a large mixing bowl, mix the chocolate mixture and sugar together. Stir it all together quite well.
Sieve in the flour and fold together with a spoon until well incorporating in the mix.
4) Finally add your eggs one at a time and mix it all together until thick and smooth.
I should mention that I am a NIGHTMARE for tasting everything as I go – I defy you to have got this far without licking the spoon at least once! And if you have then you’ve a lot more willpower than me 🙂
5) Pour the mixture in and put into the pre heated oven for about 30 – 35 mins. 10 minutes before the end take your crème eggs from the freezer and cut them in half, placing the halves on top of your half baked brownie mix. Don’t worry about being super neat, get it done quick so the brownies aren’t out of the oven too long. Then back in for the last 10 mins.
When you take them out they should be something like this!
It will look cracked and flaky on the top and will harden around the edges but should still be gooey in the centre. Bear in mind that the texture should NEVER be firm like a sponge… if it is then it’s overcooked and you won’t get the nice soft gooey middle that brownies should have.
Once cooked, take from the oven and leave to set on the counter in the tin for about an hour…. resist ALL TEMPTATION to start cutting into it (as I have done many times). Just leave it to cool and set for a while otherwise you’ll have gooey chocolate spilling out and it’ll also break up a lot when you cut into it.
After it’s had some time to harden up a bit, cut into 12 pieces and then dust with icing sugar. As I was using a smaller tray and was making for a friend’s lunch party I wanted biggish (ok, massive!) chunks so I only got 6 but could have easily got 9.
The middle pieces will always be a bit more mushy and yummy so try nab that piece for yourself 🙂 These are nicest served warm so if you are having them later that day or the next day, heat each piece in the microwave for about 25 / 30 seconds and serve with some vanilla or honeycomb ice cream…. and get ready for the sugar rush!!
You can also follow me on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/KatesKabin
Or Twitter here: https://twitter.com/kateskabin