Ahhhhhh cheesecake! It’s been a while since I’ve done a nice cheesecake – shame on me! I was trying to be really healthy there a while back and bought lots of lemons and limes to add to water to drink throughout the day. Instead of doing that, the lemons and limes were left in the fruit bowl for God knows how long and I ended up using them for a cheesecake – bit of a fail on the healthy buzz right! 🙂
This has my usual standard base that you can mix around with gingernuts if you like … I definitely prefer it with them instead of all digestives. The rest is pretty simple, as ever!
400g pack of digestives or half and half digestives and ginger nuts
400g full fat cream cheese (use low fat if you must but drain off any excess water or it’ll be a runny mess!)
250ml double cream
150g icing sugar
zest of 2 lemons and 1 lime
juice of 2 lemons and 1 lime
1. If you have a food processor, blitz the digestives in that. If not, beat the hell outta them with a rolling pin till they are a fine crumb.
2. Melt the butter in the microwave and in a large bowl combine the biscuit mix and butter. Mix it really well so there’s no parts of biscuit that have no butter. Put it in your springform tin and flatten down with the back of a spoon. Throw it in the fridge to chill while you make the topping.
3. Drain off any excess water from your packs of cream cheese and empty them out into a mixing bowl. Beat the cheese to loosen it up a bit. Pour in the double cream and whisk until it’s stiff. Electric whisk all the way here – your arm will be falling off if you’ve gotta do it with a fork.
4. Sieve in the icing sugar and give this a good mix, it’ll take a while to get it fully combined. Grate in the zest of the lemons and limes and then juice both making sure you don’t let any pips sneak in there. You might want to do it through a sieve to make sure none get through.
5. Mix it all up and then turn it out on top of the biscuit base and smooth out with the back of a spoon.
6. Back into the fridge for a couple of hours to chill then decorate however you like, I just cut up some lemon for this one, cut into slices and Ta Da… ready to serve!
You can also follow me on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/KatesKabin
Or Twitter here: https://twitter.com/kateskabin