I remember 2 treats we used to get when we were kids… coffee slices from the local bakery and almond slices. I ADORED both, I would easily have munched my way through 3 almond slices in one sitting 🙂 This cake is reminiscent of those.
In my last baking shop I threw in some ground almonds and flaked almonds and decided I’d make a nice almond cake with them. Aldi & Lidl are nice and cheap for these ingredients. I’ve made this cake twice now, once just the one layer in the pic above and then the second time I did the double layer with some raspberry jam in the middle. The quantities below are for the double so you will need two 7 inch sandwich tins, lined. For the single layer – just half the ingredients.
150g Self Raising Flour
150g Butter at room temperature
300g Caster Sugar
200g Ground Almonds
3 Teaspoons Almond Essence
Handful of flaked almonds (toast them if you like)
Icing sugar to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/about 160°C for a fan oven.
2. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy then gradually beat in the eggs.
3. Sieve in the flour and fold in with a spoon. Then add the ground almonds and stir in the almond essence.
4. Pour equally into the sandwich tins.
Bake for about 35/40 minutes until risen and golden brown.
5. Leave to settle in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn onto a wire tray to cool.
6. If you are doing 2 layers take your first layer and spread the jam over then plop the second cake on top. Then dust top of the cake with icing sugar and scatter the almonds over.
Here’s the double one finished …
And here’s the 1 layer cake….
This is a cake you will make time and again, I promise!