Ahhh bikkies bikkies bikkies – I love them! Even more so a biscuit that’s chocolate related. These are definitely a nice crunchy biscuit as opposed to some of the delicious soft chewy cookies I’ve made and I confess to being guilty of slathering these with nutella just to make them even better – I know, I’m a pig!! 🙂
So make yourself a batch of these and be a pig with me!
175g Butter, at room temp
250g Caster Sugar
1 Egg, beaten
350g Plain Flour
50g Plain Chocolate, broken up
Grated rind of 1 lemon
1. Line a few baking sheets, I used 3 – this makes a fair few bikkies!
2. In your mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Slowly add the egg, beating in well after each addition.
3. Sieve the flour into the mixture and mix well to form a dough. Move half the dough into a separate bowl.
4. Melt the chocolate and pour into one half of the mixture and beat in until completely combined.
5. Grate the lemon rind into the other half of the dough and mix in.
6. On a floured surface, roll out each half of the dough into a rectangle about 5cm thick. Get the two roughly the same size.
7. Lay one layer on top of the other and roll up like this. Then wrap in clingfilm and throw in the fridge to chill for about an hour.
8. Preheat the oven to approx 190 degrees or 170 fan oven. Cut the roll into slices and place on the baking trays. Bake for about 12 minutes, I needed a couple more but once they start to brown they should be done.
And here is a nice big plate of them – yum! 🙂