So this was a bit of a “leftovers” recipe but one that actually worked well so I decided to share! I had some cherries left from my Cherry & Coconut Muffins and some almonds from my fab Almond Cake. Loving a scone as much as I do I thought I’d throw them all together and see how it worked… final result was great!
450g Self Raising Flour
4 Tablespoons Caster Sugar
Pinch of salt
1.5 teaspoons of Almond Essence
100g dried cherries, chopped into smallish pieces
220ml Full Fat Milk
2 Handfuls of flaked almonds (1 for decorating on top, 1 for the mixture)
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees or 180 for a fan oven.
2. In your mixing bowl, sieve the flour and add the sugar and pinch of salt and stir to mix well. Add the butter and work it into the mixture until well combined and no lumps of butter remain!
3. Add your almond essence and mix in well with your fingertips then throw in your chopped cherries and 1 handful of your almond flakes and stir them all in.
4. Make a well in the middle of the mixture and pour in the milk. Using a knife, stir everything together until it’s an even consistency. Knead the dough gently in the bowl then turn it out onto a floured surface.
5. Roll it out to about 2cm thick … I ALWAYS roll it too much and end up with flat scones so be careful not to do this! Using a cookie / scone cutter or the top of a glass, cut out your rounds. Place them on a lightly floured or lined baking tray.
6. Brush the tops with milk and with your remaining handful of flaked almonds, scatter over the tops of each.
Bake for approx 20 mins.
Divine covered in jam!