I am never going to manage to cut out sugar and chocolate etc the way some people can… it’s just not gonna happen! If I try to be really strict with my diet I just end up going on a total binge after a few days. But I have started trying to make a few little changes and try not to indulge quite as much as I used to. Last year I made some delicious flapjacks but they were super sweet and laced with sugar, so I tried a more healthy alternative last week and came up with these banana and nut flapjacks – not totally guilt free as they do have golden syrup or honey but most definitely a heck of a lot less sugary and calorific as the other ones!
2 Large / 3 Small bananas
250g rolled oats
85g butter or 3 tbsp coconut oil if you have it
80g golden syrup or honey
90g crunchy peanut butter
40g whichever nuts you like!
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Melt the honey and coconut oil / butter together in microwave or in a pan on hob.
3. Add the peanut butter to this and mix well.
4. In your mixing bowl, mash the bananas… Add in the oats and all the mushy wet ingredients then add in your chosen nuts. Mix well.
5. Pour the mix into a square lined baking tin.
6. Bake for about 30 mins till golden!
They were a lot less sweet than I was used to so I drizzled a small bit of dark choc over the top – if you are one of the super healthy people I envy of course you can leave this out! 🙂