I love baking with things like ginger and cinnamon in the Winter time, it’s like Christmas in a bite! Personally I think this cake isn’t the most pretty to look at – but I promise it tastes really good… it’s super moist and comforting and just …well, yum! If you have time for any baking over the holidays, try this one out… and have a very Merry Christmas! xx
225g self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground mixed spice
115g butter, cut into cubes, plus extra for greasing
115g dark muscovado sugar
115g black treacle
115g golden syrup
250ml whole milk
85g drained stem ginger, finely grated (I actually just used a packet of crystallised ginger as couldn’t find the tube of stem ginger – it worked just as well!)
For the icing
50g icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to about 180 degrees or fan 160C. Butter and line an 7/8 inch round, deep cake tin with greaseproof or parchment paper.
2. Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and all the spices into a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and rub it into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture is like breadcrumbs.
3. Pour the sugar, treacle, syrup and milk in a medium saucepan and heat, gently stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Turn up the heat and bring the mixture to just below boiling point.
4. Add the grated stem ginger to the flour mixture – I used these crystalised chunks of it ad just grated those in .. whatever you can get your hands on!
Then pour in the treacle mixture, stirring as you go. Break in the egg and beat until all the mixture is combined and it resembles a thick pancake batter.
5. Pour this into the tin and bake for 50 minutes-1 hour, until a skewer pushed into the centre of the cake comes out fairly clean. Leave to cool completely in tin before turning cake out.
To make the icing, mix together icing sugar and lemon zest, then gradually add lemon juice until you have a smooth, slightly runny icing. Drizzle it on and let it all soak in.
And you’re done !This is a delicious and simple cake to make.. hope you enjoy it! 🙂