I love this easy coconut sponge cake, it always goes down a treat. The sponge is soft and super moist with the addition of the jam and buttercream and everyone always comments on how good it is – the bonus is that it’s simple to make!
175g caster sugar
175g self raising flour
1.5 teaspoon baking powder
3 eggs, beaten
50g desiccated coconut
splash of milk
Buttercream filling and topping
200g butter – this really needs to be quite soft
400g icing sugar
Splash of milk
20g coconut (optional – depends how coconutty you want it!)
5 tbsp. raspberry jam (or whichever you like)
1. Heat the oven to 180 degrees, or in a fan oven about 160 degrees. Grease and line 2 small sandwich tins.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar. Then gradually add the beaten eggs.
3. Sieve in the flour and baking powder and fold together with a spoon. Add the splash of milk and the coconut and mix well. Pour the cake mix evenly into the 2 sandwich tins and throw into the oven for a bout 25 – 30 mins.
Once they’re a nice golden colour and firm to touch, take them out and allow to cool in the tins for about 5-10 minutes before turning out. Leave the cakes to cool for about 30 mins before icing.
4. To make the buttercream filling, beat together the icing sugar and butter. Make sure the butter isn’t straight from the fridge, this is much easier if it’s a bit soft. Easiest way to do it is to use an electric mixer and put a teatowel over the bowl to stop the icing sugar flying EVERWHERE! Throw a splash of milk in if it’s too stiff a mixture to spread over the cake. Add in the coconut if you want, if you think it’ll be too much coconut then just leave it out.
I evened out the top of one of the cakes so that it had a nice flat top.
5. Spread one sponge with the jam and then the bottom of the other with half the buttercream mix. Put one on top of the other and spread the rest of the buttercream mix on top.
6. EAT!! 🙂
You can also follow me on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/KatesKabin
Or Twitter here: https://twitter.com/kateskabin