E’s all time favourite chocolate bar is a dark chocolate Bounty (I’m partial to them myself!) so this week I decided I’d make something nice and coconutty for him and see if it could rival the Bounty.
I can barely justify these as actual baking they are that simple – but they are scarily addictive and I always get complimented on them so who cares about the lack of baking! I didn’t try duplicate the Bounty shape with the coconut on the inside and chocolate around the outside (I’ll save that for another messy day!) – I just threw it all together and did a traybake…. it may not look too exciting but I promise you they taste great. So great that I went home the day after making them and ate THREE then E came over and had four that evening with the last 2 for brekkie the next day!
I am embarrassed to even admit that… please forget the fact that we are chocolate addicts and made pigs of ourselves!
On with the recipe….
375g Unsweetened desiccated coconut
220g Caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
150 g dark chocolate, chopped
I used this coconut from Lidl – only 99cent for 200g!
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/ about 160C for a fan oven / Gas 4.
Line a shallow tin with baking paper. I use a brownie type of tray but it’s slightly smaller…. you’ll be chopping these up anyway so any shape will do.
2. In a small saucepan or microwave, melt your butter and leave it to cool.
3. In your mixing bowl, mix the coconut and sugar together, then add the melted butter and lightly beaten eggs and stir it all together.
4. Add the chopped / broken up chocolate and stir it through the mixture.
5. Plop the mixture into the prepared tin and press down lightly with the back of a spoon.
Bake for 20 minutes until it’s firm and browning on top.
Leave it to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes after taking it from the oven, then cut into rectangles / squares and leave to cool completely.
That’s it – simples!! 🙂
You can also follow me on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/KatesKabin
Or Twitter here: https://twitter.com/kateskabin